"We independently review the products we recommend! When you buy through links on TheLadyChef.com, We may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more"
What can be more comforting than a slice of just baked, warm Apple pie? And that too, on a cold winter evening. This Air Fryer Apple pie recipe is simple, delicious, and quick. So if you have a short time to serve your guests something super delicious and gooey, this is the ultimate recipe! Try it out for the next casual potluck party, and evening tea time get-together, or just for a sweet dessert after a light dinner.
For this recipe, you will need;
- Granny Smith or Golden Delicious Apples
- Brown Sugar
- Pie Crusts or Pastry sheets
- Ground Cinnamon and Nutmeg or Baking spice mix
- Lemon juice
Ingredient Notes and Variations
Apples: The reason I always choose Granny Smith apples to make apple pies is that they have a hint of a tart flavor amongst the sweetness. They are firmer than other varieties and so they maintain their shape during the cooking procedure. Another good is the golden delicious apples which also exhibit a good balance of sweet and tart flavor.
Brown Sugar: Brown sugar is used only in a small amount in This recipe to create a nice glaze.
Butter: Butter makes the pie crust or pastry sheets flaky and crispy. It also turns them nicely golden during the baking process.
Pie Crusts: You can always make your pie crusts at home from scratch, but I buy commercially available pie crusts to save time. Look for gluten-free options if you are allergic to gluten. The Apple pie also ends up very well with the use of thin Pastry sheets.
Sugar: Sugar is essential to balance the flavor of the apple filling. Brown sugar is a healthy alternative to the refined white sugar. It imparts the desired sweetness and a nice golden color to the apple filling. You can also use sugar alternates or stevia for a low-calorie option.
Ground Cinnamon and Nutmeg: These two spices blend very well with apples and create a mildly spiced flavor of the apple pie. If you can’t find these, use a teaspoon of baking spice mix.
Lemon Juice: It balances the flavors and imparts a nice citrus tone to the overall palette.
Cornstarch: Cornstarch keeps the spices and sugar stuck to the apple slices you can use all-purpose flour in the place of cornstarch too.
How to make Air Fryer Apple Pie?
1: Prepare the Caramel glaze
- In an Air fryer-friendly pan, mix Some melted butter and Brown sugar.
- Keep mixing until the sugar gets completely dissolved in the butter. This will form a glaze at the bottom of the Apple pie. Set Aside.
2: Make the apple topping
- Peel, core, and slice the apples into thin pieces. Add them to a large mixing bowl.
- Mix in white or brown sugar, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, a bit of lemon juice, and cornstarch.
- Mix all the ingredients well so that the apple slices are coated well in the sugar, lemon juice, and baking spices.
3: Assembling the pies
- Flour the surface of a cutting board and roll out one section of the pie crust. Place it in the glazed Air fryer pan. Make sure that the crus completely covers the base and the sides of the pan.
- Remove excess moisture from the apple filling. Spread the filling mixture evenly onto the pie crust.
- Roll out another section of the pie crust to make the topping of the apple pie. You can layer it as it is or cut it into thin stripes to create designs.
- Poke small holes in the top layer so the steam can escape during the baking process. This also makes the crust crispy and flaky.
- You can also apply an egg wash on the top layer to make it extra crisp and golden.
4: Air frying the Apple pie
- Preheat the air fryer to 350 F for at least 10 minutes.
- Set the pie pan in the basket of air fryer and allow to cook for 20 minutes. Check in between.
- When the crust becomes nicely golden, crisp, and flaky, the pie is ready.
- Allow to cool down at room temperature for at least 10 to 15 minutes. Do not attempt to slice the pie before cooling.
- Slice the pie and serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- Pair it up with freshly brewed coffee or a mug of hot chocolate!
Air Fryer Apple Pie
- 6 Granny Smith or Golden Delicious Apples peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- ½ cup Brown Sugar
- ¼ cup Butter melted
- 2 pack Pie Crusts or Pastry Sheets
- ½ cup Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon Nutmeg or Baking Spice Mix
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 2 tablespoons Cornstarch
How to Make?
- In the pie pan, Mix 1 tbsp of brown sugar and 1 tbsp of butter to make a caramel glaze.
- Peel, core, and thinly slice the apples.
- In a large bowl, combine the sliced apples, brown sugar, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg (or baking spice mix), lemon juice, and cornstarch. Toss until the apples are evenly coated.
- Roll out one pie crust and place it in the bottom of the pie pan, ensuring it covers the sides.
- Pour the apple filling onto the crust, spreading it evenly.
- Place the second pie crust on top and seal the edges by pressing with a fork.
- Preheat your air fryer to 375°F (190°C).
- Place the assembled pie in the preheated air fryer basket.
- Air fry for 20-25 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbly.
- Allow the pie to cool for a few minutes before slicing and serving.
- Serve with your favorite ice cream or beverage.