"We independently review the products we recommend! When you buy through links on TheLadyChef.com, We may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more"
Thinking about how the weight loss diets were so boring until the Air fryer came to our rescue! Now we have the option of adding so many delicious snacks to our meal plan, without the guilt of deep frying and indulgence in high caloric foods. These Air Fryer Chicken Taquitos end up so crisp, crunchy, and wholesome, they have now become my favorite on-the-go snacks. And the recipe is so easy peasy.
You will need:
- Olive or Avocado oil
- Chicken boneless (julienne cut)
- Classic salsa
- Cheddar cheese (or Monterey Jack)
- Cream cheese or Mayonnaise
- Dried cilantro or parsley
- Taco Seasoning
Ingredients and Variations
Tortillas: The best ones for this recipe are the regular store-bought tortillas made out of all-purpose flour. If you want to make a gluten-free version, you can buy gluten-free tortillas, or make them by yourself.
Oil: To keep this recipe a low-calorie one, use Olive oil or any other vegetable oil like sesame or Avocado oil.
Chicken: For this recipe, I cook the chicken with salt, pepper, and chili powder and cut it into julienne strips. You can also replace chicken with turkey or beef mince.
Salsa: A classic onions and tomato salsa makes the Taquitos more flavorful and gives them a spiced burst. Alternatively, use a vegetable mix of chopped cabbage, onion, tomato, bell pepper, and corn which makes the Taquitos crunchy and wholesome.
Cheese: The best Cheese for this recipe is cheddar cheese because it’s creamy and the flavor blends well with chicken and spices. You can use Monterey Jack or even mozzarella cheese too.
Cream cheese: Cream cheese makes the entire mixture creamy and holds the ingredients together. You can use low-fat cream
Cilantro: Cilantro or dried parsley adds a hint of freshness and flavor to the Taquito.
Taco Seasoning: taco seasoning lends a classic flavor to these Taquitos. You can use garlic powder and paprika powder as alternatives.
How to make Air Fryer Chicken Taquitos?
1: Prepare the filling
- Start by preparing the chicken as per your preference. You can either boil it or grill along with salt, pepper and paprika powder.
- When it is cool, chop it in small pieces or julienne cut it.
- In a mixing bowl, Mix the prepared chicken along with salsa or vegetables, cheddar cheese, cream cheese, spices and taco seasoning.
- Make sure to mix it well so that it becomes creamy.
2: Fill the Taquitos
- Take a tortilla and fill it with 1 heaped tablespoon of filling.
- Roll the tortilla while folding its edges.
- Apply some oil on the tortilla just as you roll the last edge.
- Roll tightly and seal properly to make sure the filling stays inside.
3: Setting the Air fryer
- Preheat the Airfryer at 400F.
- Arrange the taquitos in an Airfryer basket. Place them at a distance so none of them are sticking to each other.
- Using a silicone brush, apply some oil over the Taquitos. This makes the crust crisp and nicely golden.
- Cook them in the Air fryer for about 5 to 6 minutes. Check in between.
- If you like them extra crispy, allow them to cook for 2 to 3 more minutes.
- Remove the Taquitos from the fryer and serve on a serving platter.
- Enjoy with a side of your favorite sauce or noodles.
Air Fryer Chicken Taquitos
- 2 tablespoons Olive oil
- 8 Tortillas
- 1 pound Chicken boneless julienne cut
- 1 cup Classic salsa
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese or Monterey Jack, shredded
- ½ cup Cream cheese or Mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Dried cilantro or parsley
- 2 tablespoons Taco Seasoning
How to Make?
- Preheat the air fryer to 400°F (200°C).
- In a bowl, combine cooked chicken, classic salsa, cheddar cheese, cream cheese (or mayonnaise), and dried cilantro (or parsley).
- Place a tortilla on a flat surface and spoon the chicken mixture onto one side.
- Roll the tortilla tightly and place seam-side down in the air fryer basket.
- Repeat for all tortillas, leaving space between each taquito.
- Lightly spray taquitos with olive oil for a crispy finish.
- Air fry for 8-10 minutes, or until golden and crisp.
- Serve with additional salsa or your favorite dipping sauce.