"We independently review the products we recommend! When you buy through links on TheLadyChef.com, We may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more"
Tender, crispy, and crusty Fish fillets to go with wedges and tartar sauce! A dream coming true especially when the fish cakes are made in an Air fryer. This might be the perfect, tastiest, and healthiest low-calorie, high-protein meal. The recipe is an easy one to follow but gives you a lip-smacking dish for any party, formal dinner, or just a side with rice and gravies.
- White Fish Fillets (Boneless)
- Green Peas
- Fish Sauce
- Fried Onions
- Bread Crumbs
- Olive Oil
Ingredient Notes and Variations
White Fish Fillet: I often use frozen fish fillets which are store-packed. I defrost them and pat dry them before use. But for this recipe, any white fish, such as cod or catfish will do the job. Just make sure that the fish fillet you are buying is firm and looks fresh. If you are short on fish, try adding a small amount of imitation crab meat or use one mashed potato to make up for the quantity.
Green Peas: Peas introduce a fresh flavor and a unique texture to the fish cakes. Alternatively, add white beans to the cake mixture or skip adding peas. For a better texture and flavor, consider adding mashed potato or shredded zucchini to the fish cake mixture.
Fish Sauce: Fish sauce adds to the traditional Fish flavor and makes the cakes soft and moist from the inside. If you like the cakes towards a sweet side, you can add Thai sweet chili sauce too.
Fried Onions: The classic flavor of brown onions brings a delightful sweet-savory flavor to many Asian dishes. Alternatively, use chopped fresh onions for a crunchy texture.
Salt and Spices: Salt and spices such as garlic powder, paprika, black pepper, and curry powder make the fish cakes delicious. Use them as per taste and preference.
Note: If you like your cakes spicier, try adding cayenne pepper or sliced jalapenos.
Milk: Milk keeps the fish cakes soft from the inside and also aids in the browning.
Eggs: The prepared cakes are coated in the eggs and bread crumbs to make the final crust crispy and golden.
Bread Crumbs: Bread crumbs add crispness and crunch to the fish cakes. Sometimes I skip using them and coat the cakes in cornflour slurry. It also makes the top crusty and golden.
If you are on a gluten-free diet, replace bread crumbs with almond flour.
Mayonnaise: Mayonnaise is optional but it makes the fish cake mixture soft and creamy. You
Olive oil: A coat of olive oil over the cakes makes them crisp and gives the top a nice golden color.
How to Make Air Fryer Fish Cakes
1: Preparing the Fish Mixture
- Slice large fish fillets into smaller pieces. Add to a food processing bowl.
- Add fried onions, fish sauce, all the spices, salt, and egg to the bowl,
- Blend all the ingredients in the processor until you have a smooth mixture.
- Allow the mixture to sit in a refrigerator for at least one hour.
2: Making the Fish cakes
- After one hour, add the green peas to the mixture and remix.
- Form round-shaped cakes of this fish mixture. Make sure all of them are of equal sizes and ½ inch thickness.
- Dip each cake in milk and coat with bread crumbs. Repeat this for all the cakes.
3: Air frying the Fish cakes
- Set the air fryer to preheat at 400F.
- In a lined Air fryer basket, place the fish cakes at a suitable distance so that none of them overlap each other.
- Spray with a bit of olive oil.
- Air fry for approximately 12 to 14 minutes. Flip the cakes after 6 minutes so that both sides are equally golden and crisp.
- Serve hot with a side of sauteed vegetables, mashed potatoes and tartar sauce.
Air Fryer Fish Cakes
- 500 g White Fish Fillets boneless
- 1 cup Green Peas cooked
- 2 tbsp Fish Sauce
- ½ cup Fried Onions crispy
- ½ cup Bread Crumbs
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- ¼ cup Milk
- 2 Eggs
- 1 tsp Salt
- Assorted Spices e.g., pepper, paprika, garlic powder to taste
How to Make?
- In a food processor, combine white fish fillets, fish sauce, and fried onions. Pulse until well blended.
- Transfer the mixture to a large bowl. Add, olive oil, milk, cooked green peas, salt, and your choice of spices. Mix until all ingredients are evenly combined.
- Divide the mixture into 8 portions and shape them into round patties.
- Coat each of them with beaten egg and bread crumbs.
- Preheat your air fryer to 400°F (190°C) for about 5 minutes.
- Lightly coat each fish cake with additional bread crumbs for extra crispiness.
- Place the fish cakes in the air fryer basket, leaving some space between each. Cook for 12-15 minutes, flipping halfway through, until they are golden brown and cooked through.
- Remove the fish cakes from the air fryer and let them cool for a few minutes. Serve with your favorite dipping sauce or a squeeze of lemon.
- Enjoy your delicious homemade Air Fryer Fish Cakes!