Hey there, fellow food enthusiasts! I can’t wait to share this fantastic Banana Yogurt Cake recipe with you. I recently tried my hand at creating a healthier cake option, and the results were simply amazing. The cake turned out to be moist, flavorful, and incredibly satisfying. I knew I had struck gold and just had to share it with you all. So, buckle up and get ready to embark on a delicious journey that’ll bring a smile to your face and satisfaction to your taste buds. (screenshot)
What is this Banana Yogurt Cake
Banana Yogurt Cake is a delectable and healthier twist on the traditional banana cake. This scrumptious dessert combines the natural sweetness of ripe bananas with the tanginess of yogurt, resulting in a perfectly balanced, moist, and tender cake that’s not overly sweet. The origin of this recipe is not certain, but it is believed to be inspired by the classic banana bread, which has its roots in American cuisine.
The use of yogurt in the cake not only adds a unique flavor but also contributes to its moist and fluffy texture. This cake is perfect for those who want to enjoy a tasty treat without compromising on their health goals.
Why Should You Try Banana Yogurt Cake?
- Healthier alternative: The recipe uses yogurt, which helps reduce the amount of butter and oil needed, making it a healthier option than traditional cakes.
- Natural sweetness: Ripe bananas provide natural sweetness, which means you can use less sugar while still enjoying a delicious treat.
- Versatile: This cake is perfect for breakfast, dessert, or a snack, making it a versatile addition to your recipe collection.
- Easy to make: With just a few simple steps, you can whip up this cake in no time, making it perfect for busy days or when you need a quick dessert option.
- Customizable: You can easily adapt this recipe to suit your taste preferences by adding nuts, chocolate chips, or other tasty additions.
Here’s what you’ll need to make this delightful Banana Yogurt Cake:
- 2 ripe bananas
- 2 large eggs
- 90g caster sugar
- 8g vanilla sugar (or 1 tsp vanilla extract)
- 150g plain yogurt (Greek yogurt also works well)
- 180g all-purpose flour
- 10g baking powder
- 30g butter, melted
- 10g butter for creating a butter line (optional)
- 40g chocolate, melted in a water bath
- 1 tbsp almonds, roasted and chopped
From my experience, using ripe bananas is crucial for achieving the perfect sweetness and flavor in the cake. Overripe bananas will also work, but they may result in a denser texture. I prefer using Greek yogurt, as it adds extra creaminess and richness to the cake, but you can also use regular plain yogurt.
For a healthier twist, you can try substituting all-purpose flour with whole wheat flour, or a combination of the two. Additionally, you can experiment with various sweeteners, such as coconut sugar or maple syrup, to find the perfect level of sweetness for your taste.
Tips to Make This Recipe
Here are some tips to help you make the perfect Banana Yogurt Cake:
- Don’t overmix the batter: Mix just until the ingredients are combined, as overmixing can lead to a dense and tough cake.
- Check for doneness: Insert a toothpick or skewer into the center of the cake – if it comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs, your cake is done.
- Allow the cake to cool: Give the cake some time to cool down before adding the topping. This will ensure that the chocolate doesn’t melt and slide off the cake.
- Get creative with toppings: Feel free to experiment with different toppings, such as caramel sauce, chopped nuts, or a dusting of powdered sugar, to personalize your cake.
How to Make Banana Yogurt Cake?
Here’s a step-by-step guide to help you make this delightful Banana Yogurt Cake without any difficulty:
1. Prepare the baking pan and preheat the oven
- Preheat your oven to 170°C (338°F).
- Grease a 20cm (8-inch) round cake pan with the 10g of butter (optional) or line it with parchment paper. This will ensure that the cake comes out of the pan easily after baking.
2. Mash the bananas
- In a medium-sized bowl, mash the ripe bananas using a fork or a potato masher until you achieve a smooth consistency. Set aside. However, i love using cutting bananas into small pieces with knife. Choise is all yours
3. Combine wet ingredients
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, caster sugar, and vanilla sugar (or vanilla extract) until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Add the mashed bananas and yogurt to the egg mixture, and whisk until well combined.
- Stir in the melted butter.
4. Mix dry ingredients
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour and baking powder.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, mixing gently until just combined. Be careful not to overmix, as this can lead to a dense cake.
5. Pour the batter and bake
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and smooth the top with a spatula.
- Place the pan in the preheated oven and bake for 55-60 minutes, or until a toothpick or skewer inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs.
6. Let the cake cool
- Remove the cake from the oven and allow it to cool in the pan for about 10 minutes.
- Gently run a knife around the edges of the cake to loosen it, then transfer it to a wire rack to cool completely.
7. Prepare the toppings
- Melt the chocolate in a water bath, or use a microwave-safe bowl and microwave in short intervals, stirring frequently until smooth.
- Roast the almonds in a dry pan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until golden brown. Then, chop them coarsely.
8. Decorate the cake
- Once the cake has cooled completely, drizzle the melted chocolate over the top.
- Sprinkle the roasted and chopped almonds evenly over the chocolate.
- Allow the chocolate to set slightly before slicing and serving.
How to Serve
This versatile Banana Yogurt Cake is perfect for various occasions, such as breakfast, dessert, or a snack. Here are some serving suggestions:
- Serve it slightly warm with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of your favorite ice cream for an indulgent dessert.
- Pair it with a cup of tea or coffee for a delightful afternoon snack or breakfast treat.
- Add fresh fruit, such as berries or sliced bananas, for a burst of freshness and extra flavor.
Storage and Freezing Instructions
To store the Banana Yogurt Cake:
- Allow the cake to cool completely before storing.
- Wrap the cake in plastic wrap or store it in an airtight container to prevent it from drying out.
- The cake can be stored at room temperature for up to 3 days or refrigerated for up to a week.
To freeze the Banana Yogurt Cake:
- Allow the cake to cool completely.
- Wrap the cake securely in plastic wrap or aluminum foil, or place it in an airtight container or freezer-safe plastic bag.
- Label the container or bag with the date and type of cake.
- Freeze the cake for up to 3 months.
- To serve, thaw the cake at room temperature for several hours or overnight in the refrigerator.
Here are some alternative recipes that you can try:
- Banana Bread: A classic favorite, banana bread is similar to the Banana Yogurt Cake but typically denser in texture. It can be made with or without nuts and is perfect for breakfast or a snack.
- Banana Chocolate Chip Cake: For those who love the combination of bananas and chocolate, this alternative recipe adds chocolate chips to the cake batter for an extra layer of flavor and indulgence.
- Vegan Banana Cake: This alternative recipe caters to those following a vegan diet, using plant-based ingredients such as flaxseed meal or chia seeds as an egg substitute, and dairy-free yogurt or applesauce in place of regular yogurt.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you can use overripe bananas in this recipe. They will add extra sweetness and moisture to the cake, but the texture may be denser.
Yes, you can substitute the yogurt with an equal amount of sour cream. This will result in a slightly richer and tangier cake.
To make this cake gluten-free, substitute the all-purpose flour with a gluten-free flour blend that has a 1:1 ratio with regular flour.
Absolutely! Feel free to customize the recipe by adding nuts, chocolate chips, or other additions to the batter before baking.
Insert a toothpick or skewer into the center of the cake. If it comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs, the cake is done.
Banana Yogurt Cake Recipe
- 2 ripe bananas
- 2 large eggs
- 90 g caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 150 g plain yogurt (Greek yogurt also works well)
- 180 g all-purpose flour
- 10 g baking powder
- 30 g butter, melted
- 10 g butter for creating a butter line (optional)
- 40 g chocolate, melted in a water bath
- 1 tbsp almonds, roasted and chopped
How to Make?
- Preheat oven to 170°C (338°F) and prepare a 20cm (8-inch) cake pan.
- Mash bananas and set aside.
- Whisk eggs, sugar, yogurt, and melted butter together.
- Combine flour and baking powder separately, then add to wet ingredients.
- Pour batter into the prepared cake pan and bake for 55-60 minutes.
- Cool cake and decorate with melted chocolate and roasted almonds.