During the fall season, the markets are fully loaded with pumpkins! And I always wonder! What fall desserts i can think of to make my kids have some pumpkin? And guess what? I have ended up formulating an exciting recipe for these delicious blondies which are jam-packed with flavors. Fill them up with some chocolate chips, and let their aroma fill up your house, making them even more irresistible.
If you have no idea how they should end up, just remember that they are similar to regular chocolate brownies, except that they are not chocolaty. A little bit of baking spices doubles up the pumpkin flavor, making them an ideal dessert on their own, or to go with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. I like these blondies a bit warm, but you can cool them down to room temperature before serving. And it takes just around 25 minutes to prepare. So get your baking supplies ready and wear your chef hat now!
Why will you like Pumpkin Blondies?
The reason why I (and probably you too will) love this recipe that because it offers a lot of customization. Fill it with salted caramel, applesauce chocolate chips, or any of your favorite flavors. We love the Pumpkin Blondies because:
Easy to make
These Pumpkin Blondies are so easy to make, you do not require any fancy ingredients or special baking equipment. Infarct, if you are new to baking, try this easy vegan dessert to polish your skills and impress your guests.
Add in your favorite flavors
You can use this basic recipe and spark it with a little bit of your creative side. Add in some salted caramel in the center or applesauce to make center-filled pumpkin blondies. Use chocolate chips (white or dark) in the batter or add in some chopped nuts of your choice.
You can Make it;
You can always make this recipe keto friendly by substituting regular flour with an almond meal or hazelnut meal. This also gives a classic nutty flavor to the blondies.
Using nut flour especially when you ground nuts at home without any contamination makes this recipe a perfect fix for a Gluten free diet. This flour is naturally grain free and fit for a Paleo diet.
- The ideal fix for all meals
Bake these Blondies and serve them as a vegan potluck recipe, breakfast side, with Evening Tea, or with your Late Night coffee sessions. You can also bake and take them to a Potluck party, or swerve them at a Birthday Celebration.
In my recipe, I have used coconut sugar as a sweetener. Use xylitol, erythritol, or xanthan gum as artificial sweeteners to replace white sugar. These alternative ingredients make this recipe Keto Friendly potluck dessert as well as a sugar-free dessert.
You can substitute butter with any vegetable shortening, preferably avocado oil or almond butter to make the recipe vegan.
Ingredients For Pumpkin Blondies:
- 2 cups almond meal
- ½ cup flaxseed meal
- 3 tsp pumpkin pie spice or baking spice mix
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 250 g pumpkin puree (moisture removed)
- 1 tbsp vanilla essence
- ½ cup unsweetened chocolate chips
Ingredient Notes For Pumpkin Blondies
The most important ingredient of this dessert is pumpkin puree. Although there are a lot of them available in stores, I always prefer to make my own. Buy the pumpkin from the fresh produce. But if you prefer to buy packaged puree, do not confuse it with Pumpkin pie filling.
Pumpkin Pie spice
See if you can find it on the racks of your local grocery store. Otherwise, make a blend of powdered nutmeg, cinnamon, ground ginger, and a bot of powdered cloves.
Because I ammaking a keto-friendly, low-calorie, and low-sugar recipe I use almond meals along with flaxseed meals, although they might give a nutty flavor. You can use All-purpose flour if you want the regular recipe.
Butter is used to keep the blondies soft, smooth, and creamy. Use unsalted butter and keep it at room temperature for a while before using it.
Flax seed Meal
If you do not want to use butter, because of calorie count or make it a vegan recipe, you can use flax seed. The flax seed meal makes the blondies soft and creamy without adding excess fat.
Use white or dark chocolate chips as per preference to give them a texture and a chocolatey taste.
Although you can use brown sugar for this recipe, I have used coconut sugar to give it a subtly sweet taste and keep it low-calorie.
Expert Tips For Making Pumpkin Blondies
- Dry Out puree’s moisture- The pumpkin puree has moisture more than what is required for the recipe. More moisture will not bring out the desired texture. To remove the excess of it, place the double layer of paper towel on a flat plate and pour a bit of pumpkin puree. Press with another double layer and dab to remove the excess moisture. Repeat until the puree dries off a bit.
- Brown the butter-Whenever I make this recipe, I always do this one thing. Brown my butter, to enrich the flavor of the pumpkin blondies. Just melt the butter in a pan on really low heat and allow it to turn golden. Swirl the pan to prevent the butter from burning. Do so until the butter turns deep golden. If you are using a Flaxseed meal, skip this step.
- Line the pan- Do not forget to line your pan before baking. Use butter paper large enough so that it may hang out from the sides of the baking pan. This will help you take out the baked blondies easily.
- Let it cool- Allow the blondies to cool down before you cut them up into squares. Cutting them up hot might make them crumble and lose their shape.
How to Make The Pumpkin Blondies
Step one: Prepare the oven
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Take a deep baking pan and either grease it or line it with butter paper.
- Use a large sheet of butter paper to allow it to hang from the sides of the pan. This will allow you to easily lift the blondies when baked.
Step two: Prepare the mixture
- In a mixing bowl, add all the dry ingredients i.e. flour (or nut meal), sugar, pumpkin spice or baking spices, salt, and chocolate chips or nuts of your choice.
- Mix well until all ingredients combine.
- In a separate mixing bowl, add all the wet ingredients i.e. an egg, pumpkin puree, vanilla essence, etc. Whisk until the ingredients blend.
- Carefully, fold the dry ingredients into the wet ones.
- Do not overmix or else the air bubbles might break, causing pumpkin blondies to become tough after baking. Keep the mixture thick and dense.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared baking pan. Even with the help of a spatula. Place it in the preheated oven.
Step three: Baking and serving
- Bake the pumpkin blondie mixture for 25 minutes. Check by placing a toothpick in the center of the pan. If it comes out clean, the pumpkin blondies are ready.
- Take the pan out and place it on a cooling rack. Allow to cool down for at least 10 to 15 minutes.
- Cut into squares and serve on a serving platter.
How to Store Pumpkin Blondies?
- Although these pumpkin blondies are so yummy, rarely any leftovers remain. However, if you do have leftovers, place them in an airtight container and refrigerate them. It will remain good for 3 days.
How to Freeze Pumpkin Blondies?
- In case you want to freeze the Blondies, first ensure that they have cooled down completely. Wrap them tightly in plastic wrap and place them in a freezer container.
- These blondies can last well in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- When you need the pumpkin blondies, allow them to thaw at room temperature for a few hours. If you like them warm, place them in a microwave and heat them for 30 seconds.
Alternative Ingredients You Can Try:
Pumpkin Blondies can be prepared with various filling ingredients. For example, you can Prepare a salted caramel sauce and make center-filled pumpkin blondies. Applesauce or strawberry jam also makes a great center filling. You can also replace dark or white chocolate chips with
- Dried cherries
- Roasted and chopped walnuts
- Roasted and chopped almonds
- Pecan nuts
- Dried cranberries
- Cinnamon chips
- Butterscotch chips
- Raisins and many other options…
If you cannot find pumpkins or are in no mood to make a pumpkin puree, try this recipe with pureed apples. After all, who does not like Caramel Apple Blondies?
You can also try your baking skills to make this delicious Pumpkin Pie, or the warm Pumpkin and Chocolate cake, to make your winter evening teas more aromatic and flavorful.
Frequently Asked Questions:
The main difference lies in the ingredients. A blondie requires vanilla essence and brown sugar essentially to develop the flavor. Brownies use cocoa powder, chocolate, and granulated sugar to get the desired flavor. Brownies are brown whereas blondies are a bit on the golden side. Although both may be similar in textures, blondies are more towards light and fluffier texture.
Blondies can get soggy if they have more moisture content in them. If you are making pumpkin blondies, be sure to dry out the excess moisture from the pumpkin puree before adding it to the batter. Also, if you have added any berries such as raspberries or cranberries to the blondies, make sure they have completely dried out. Also, try not to overmix the mixture which sometimes causes the blondie to sink in from the middle during baking. Overcooking the blondies may also make them hard and dry.
The main reason for blondies not baking up properly is the overmixing of eggs. If you beat the eggs too much, they will trap too much air and cause the mixture to sink during baking. If you have not allowed ample time for baking, it may also cause the center to sink because it did not have enough time to rise. Always check your blondies from the center with the help of a toothpick to know if they are ready or not. If the toothpick comes out clean, the blondies are ready.
- 2 cup almond meal
- ½ cup flaxseed meal
- 3 tsp pumpkin pie spice orbaking spice mix
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 250 g pumpkin puree (moistureremoved)
- 1 tbsp vanilla essence
- ½ cup unsweetened chocolatechips
How to Make?
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a baking pan with butter paper.
- In a mixing bowl, add almond flour, flaxseed meal, coconut sugar, salt, chocolate chips, and pumpkin spice. Mix well.
- In another bowl, whisk the egg, vanilla extract, and pumpkin puree. Whisk well until the ingredient blend.
- Slowly add the dry ingredient mixture to the wet ones and mix with a spatula. do not overmix so that the mixture stays thick and dense.
- Pour the mixture into the baking pan and even it out using a spatula.
- Bake for 25 minute sor until the top appears crusty and golden. Allow it to cool on a wire rack before cutting.