Taco Salad Bowl – the name itself conjures images of a fiesta in your mouth. This vibrant and satisfying dish is not only a feast for the taste buds but also a versatile culinary canvas where you can let your creativity run wild. Whether you’re a kitchen novice or a seasoned chef, this easy-to-follow guide will help you create a delectable and keto-friendly Taco Salad Bowl that will leave you craving for more. The best part is that this can be your best company lunch idea or a lunch idea for field trips.
Ingredients For Taco Salad Bowl:
- 1 lb Ground Beef
- 1 tsp Avocado Oil (or any other oil)
- 2 tbsp Taco Seasoning
- 8 oz Romaine Lettuce, chopped
- 1 1/3 cup Grape Tomatoes, halved
- 3/4 cup Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- 1 medium Avocado, cubed
- 1/2 cup Green Onions, chopped
- 1/3 cup Salsa
- 1/3 cup Sour Cream
Ingredient Notes and Variations:
Ground Beef: The star of the show, it provides a hearty and savory base for your taco salad. You can substitute it with ground turkey or even plant-based alternatives to make the salad vegan-friendly.
Avocado Oil: This oil adds a subtle richness and enhances the flavors. Feel free to use olive oil or any other cooking oil you prefer.
Taco Seasoning: A blend of spices that elevates the beef to the next level. You can use store-bought seasoning or craft your own for a personalized touch.
Romaine Lettuce: Crisp and refreshing, it forms the bedrock of your salad. Experiment with spinach or mixed greens for a different taste and texture.
Grape Tomatoes: Bursting with sweetness, these tomatoes provide juicy bursts of flavor. Cherry tomatoes or diced regular tomatoes are excellent alternatives.
Cheddar Cheese: Shredded cheddar adds creaminess and a hint of tanginess. Swap it out for Monterey Jack or Pepper Jack for a spicier kick.
Avocado: Creamy and buttery, avocado cubes are a must for that luxurious mouthfeel. Try diced cucumber or roasted bell peppers if you’re not an avocado fan. You can also incorporate Avocado guacamole as a tasty alternative. Or you may look at these Florida avocado recipes for a twist.
Green Onions: These lend a mild oniony kick. Red onions or shallots can be used if you prefer a stronger flavor.
Salsa: A zesty condiment that adds a spicy and tangy punch. Experiment with different salsa varieties like mango or pineapple for a unique twist.
Sour Cream: Creamy and cool, it balances out the heat from the taco seasoning. Greek yogurt or a dairy-free alternative can be used as a healthier option.
- Add some Black Beans for added protein and fiber.
- Throw in some Corn Kernels to give a touch of sweetness and crunch.
- Try adding chopped Jalapeños If you like it hot and spicy.
- Use a bit of chopped Cilantro or fresh basil To infuse freshness and a burst of herbaceousness.
Tips and Tricks for the Best Taco Salad Bowl
- Opt for the freshest ingredients to maximize flavor and texture.
- Adjust the taco seasoning to suit your spice preference – mild, medium, or fiery.
- Start with lettuce as the base, followed by protein, cheese, and then toppings to ensure a balanced bite in every scoop.
- Chill your salad ingredients for a refreshing crunch.
- Make components like seasoned beef and salsa in advance for quick assembly during mealtime.
- Make it vegan by omitting any meat and using tofu to fill the protein content.
How to Make Taco Bowl Salad?
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Servings: 4
Step one: Prepping the Beef
Heat a teaspoon of avocado oil in a heavy base skillet over high heat. Add the ground beef or any protein you want and stir fry. Keep stirring it with the spoon and break it into crumbles until browned and moisture has evaporated about 7-10 minutes.
Mix the taco seasoning into the ground beef, and make sure that is distributed in the beef evenly. Add 1/4 cup of water and simmer briefly for enhanced flavor.
Step two: Prepare the veggies
Slice the romaine lettuce and chop the cherry tomatoes as you like. Slice the avocados in half and remove the pit. Cut the avocado into cubes and scoop it out of the skin. Chop the green onions. It is best to use the kitchen shears to chip them in fine small pieces.
In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients – chopped romaine lettuce, tomatoes, shredded cheddar cheese, cubed avocado, chopped green onions, salsa, and sour cream. If you want to add any additional ingredients like Black beans or Jalapenos, now is the right moment.
Step three: Mix the beef and veggies
Add the seasoned ground beef to the bowl and toss everything together until everything is mixed well and coated with sour cream and salsa.
Serve your Taco Salad Bowl immediately for the ultimate freshness and flavor explosion.
Storage, Refrigeration, and Freezing:
Storage: Do not keep the salad at room temperature for a long time as it might get sour and lose its freshness. Store any leftover salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2-3 days.
Tip: If you are making the salad ahead of time, store the dressing separately and drizzle it just before serving. This will keep the veggies fresh and crisp.
Freezing: It’s best not to freeze a fully assembled taco salad as the textures may change. The veggies lose their crunch and the salsa may become watery, causing everything to become soggy. Freeze cooked ground beef separately and assemble a fresh salad when needed.
Best Pairings with Taco Salad Bowl:
- Avocado Guacamole
- Asian Rice Pilaf
- Salami Pasta Salad
- Mango tomato avocado salad
- Greek Pasta Salad
- Napa cabbage salad with dressing
- Vegan fusilli pasta salad
- Tortilla soup
- Best Greek Avocado Salad
- Stir fry Corn
- Pico de Gallo
Other Salad Ideas:
- Burmese Tea Leaf Salad
- German Cabbage Salad With Seasoning
- Surimi Salad
- Calamari Salad
- Roasted Beets With Goat Cheese Salad
- Taco Salad Bowl
- Quinoa Arugula Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette
- Vegan Quinoa Salad
- Lunch Ideas For Hikers and Backpackers
Taco Salad Bowl
- 1 lb Ground Beef
- 1 tsp Avocado Oil or any other oil
- 2 tbsp Taco Seasoning
- 8 oz Romaine Lettuce chopped
- 1 ⅓ cup Grape Tomatoes halved
- ¾ cup Cheddar Cheese shredded
- 1 medium Avocado cubed
- ½ cup Green Onions chopped
- ⅓ cup Salsa
- ⅓ cup Sour Cream
How to Make?
- Heat avocado oil in a skillet over high heat. Add ground beef and cook, breaking it apart, for 7-10 minutes until browned.
- Stir in taco seasoning, optionally adding 1/4 cup of water. Simmer briefly.
- In a large bowl, combine lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, avocado, green onions, salsa, and sour cream.
- Add the seasoned ground beef, toss everything together, and serve immediately for a delicious Taco Bowl Salad. Enjoy!