"We independently review the products we recommend! When you buy through links on TheLadyChef.com, We may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more"
When it comes to snacking, chips and dips have always been a number one on-the-go recipe! The Tortilla chips with guacamole never disappear from my menu, because it complements every main meal. And the air fryer does this time-saving trick to make the chips crispy, without fat! So let us take a break from those fancy dinners and try out these easy-to-make, crisp, healthy tortilla chips with guacamole dip.
- Wheat corn or plain wheat tortilla
- Lime juice
- Salt and black pepper
Ingredient Notes and Variations
Tortillas: The best tortillas to make these chips are wheat tortillas or wheat-corn tortillas. You can make tortillas at home or buy commercially available ones. If you are on a gluten-free or keto diet, opt for gluten-free tortillas which are usually made from oats, almond meal, or hazelnut flour.
Avocado: Avocado imparts its creamy texture and nutritive content to the guacamole. To be honest, there is no alternative to avocado when you want to make authentic guacamole. It makes it taste the authentic Mexican-style dip.
Tomato: Select the fresh, red, and ripe tomatoes to make the guacamole mix. You can also use cherry tomatoes as they are plump and juicy.
Onion: Red onions are best to work with when you are making salads, sauces, or dips. But if you don’t have one, you can use the white ones too.
Garlic: Garlic gives a strong and bold flavor to otherwise simple guacamole. Fresh crushed garlic is easy to use. Alternatively, add garlic powder but it does not give the classic guacamole texture.
Cilantro: Cilantro or Fresh parsley introduces the green color and its associated freshness to the guacamole. Some recipes use fresh basil too.
Lime Juice: Lime juice gives the guacamole a citrusy punch and blends well with the flavor of onions and tomatoes. You can alternatively use lemon juice or 1 tbsp vinegar.
Salt and Black pepper: Add salt and black pepper up to your taste. If you like the guacamole spicy, try adding red chili flakes to it.
Optional ingredients: Although the classic Mexican guacamole is complete with the above-mentioned ingredients, you can always add some corn, chipped jalapenos, or chopped mangoes. This will introduce variety and flavor to your dip.
Note: You can also shred a bit of cheddar cheese over tortilla chips before air frying them. This will create a unique twist to the classic recipe.
How to make Air Fryer Tortilla Chips with Guacamole?
1: Preparing the guacamole
- Cut and pit the avocados and scoop them out in a mixing bowl. Mash the avocados finely with a fork.
- Add lime or lemon juice to the mashed avocados. Mix well.
- Chop the onions and tomatoes finely.
Tip: If you like your guacamole chunkier, do not mash the avocados, instead, chop them in fine cubes. The same goes for onions and tomatoes.
- Add onion, tomatoes, and minced garlic to the avocado mixture. Mix everything until all ingredients are incorporated.
- Season with salt and pepper as per your preference. You can also add red chili flakes for a spicier guacamole.
- Just before serving, chop some of the fresh cilantro or parsley and garnish over the guacamole.
2: Making Tortilla Chips
- Cut the tortillas of your choice into triangular-shaped pieces.
- Preheat your air fryer to 350F.
- Arrange the tortilla chips in a lined air fryer basket. If you have a larger batch, air fry them in different batches to ensure that they are evenly cooked.
- Airfry the tortilla chips for 4 to 5 minutes. Check for a crisp and golden texture.
- Once the tortilla chips are ready, remove them from the air fryer basket and allow them to cool.
- Serve on a serving platter with the delicious Guacamole dip.
Tortilla Chips with Guacamole (Air Fryer)
For Tortilla Chips
- 4 plain wheat tortillas
- Cooking spray
- Salt to taste
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 medium tomato diced
- ½ small onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- A handful of fresh cilantro chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- Salt and pepper to taste
How to Make?
- Cut the avocados in half, remove the pits, and scoop the flesh into a bowl.
- Mash the avocados with a fork until you achieve your desired consistency (smooth or chunky).
- Add diced tomato, chopped onion, minced garlic, chopped cilantro, and lime juice to the mashed avocados.
- Season the guacamole with salt and black pepper to taste. Mix well to combine all the ingredients.
For Tortilla Chips
- Set your air fryer to 350°F (180°C) and allow it to preheat for a few minutes.
- Stack the tortillas and cut them into triangles, like you would cut a pizza.
- Arrange the tortilla triangles in a single layer on the air fryer basket. Place the basket in the air fryer and cook for 5-7 minutes, or until the tortilla chips are golden and crispy. Make sure to shake the basket halfway through for even cooking.
- Remove the chips from the air fryer, sprinkle with salt to taste, and let them cool slightly before serving.
- Arrange the air-fried tortilla chips on a serving platter.
- Serve the guacamole alongside the chips.
- Enjoy your delicious homemade air fryer tortilla chips with guacamole!