"We independently review the products we recommend! When you buy through links on TheLadyChef.com, We may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more"
Mexican street food has always been my favorite, particularly because of the bold flavors but especially because it is easy to cook. So when you are craving a fancy dinner but are short on time, just make these Air fryer fish tacos, serve with a slide of fries and pesto dip, and Voila! A dinner meal that is everyone’s favorite.
You will need:
- Tilapia fillet
- Olive oil
- Lime juice
- Garlic clove
- Red cabbage
- Green onion
- Red wine vinegar
- Sour cream
- Sriracha sauce
- Salt and black pepper
Ingredient Notes and Variations
For Fish Filling
Fish: The best one to make fish tacos is always the Tilapia fillet. The reason is that it has a mild flavor and the fish is readily available. If you can’t find tilapia, any white fish could work. Another choice for fish is the white Mahi Mahi fish, which makes a delicious filling for tacos.
Oil: To make the marinade, you can use any vegetable oil which you like. I prefer to use olive oil because it is the healthiest and has a slightly distinctive flavor.
Spices: In my recipe, I have used chipotle powder and jalapeno pepper to spice up the fish. You can use a variety of spices such as red chili powder, cayenne, cumin and coriander powder, garlic, and onion powder, etc. These lend a distinctive flavor and aroma to the tacos. You can also use smoked paprika instead of chipotle powder.
Lime Juice: Lime juice enables the spices to blend in their flavors and adds a touch of citrus and freshness to the tacos. If you don’t have lime juice, swap it with a similar amount of white vinegar.
Garlic: fresh chopped garlic lends the finest and freshest bold flavor. You can alternatively use garlic powder.
Red Cabbage: Red cabbage is what makes the pickle crunchy and refreshing. You can use a green one too, but the color vibe is too much to miss!
Green Onion: The green stalk of green onions makes the best pickle with its crunch and color. It has a mild onion-like flavor.
Red wine vinegar: Red vine vinegar has preservative properties and lends a citrusy tone just needed for the pickle’s true flavor. You can use white vinegar too.
Salt: Salt lends flavor to the pickle.
For Taco Sauce
Sour Cream: Sour cream makes a creamy sauce to hold all the filling ingredients together. You can also use Greek yogurt or low-fat mayo.
Sriracha sauce: this gives a spicy kick to the otherwise bland sauce. Alternatively, you can add chili garlic sauce or hot sauce.
Fresh Coriander: Chopped fresh coriander makes the sauce refreshing and tasty. You can also use fresh basil or mint for a better flavor.
Tortillas: I have used plain wheat tortillas to make my Fish tacos. If you want to opt for a gluten-free meal, look for gluten-free tortillas or make yours at home using oat flour or almond meal.
How to make Air fryer Fish Tacos?
1: Air Frying Tuna Steaks
- In a mixing bowl, add lime juice, olive oil, fresh chopped garlic, spices, chopped cilantro, salt and pepper.
- Mix them well to prepare a marinade.
- Marinate the fish in this mixture and allow it to rest for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat your air fryer to 400F for 4 minutes.
- Line the air fryer basket with a parchment paper.
- Place the fish fillets in the lined basket and air fry them for 8 minutes. Flip sides in between to ensure they are evenly cooked and get a nice golden color.
- When the fish is air-fried, take it out on a plate and cut it into small chunks.
2: Preparing the Pink Taco sauce
- In a ramekin, add sour cream and mix in one tablespoon of sriracha sauce.
- Mix well and add chopped cilantro. Set aside.
3: Making the Pickle
- In a mixing bowl, add chopped purple cabbage, green onion, and salt.
- Add vinegar to the vegetables. Mix with your hands to allow vegetables to release their juices. Set aside for at least 30 minutes.
- Toast your tortillas slightly either in the air fryer or in a pan.
- Place the toasted tortilla on the serving splatter. Layer with the pickle and air-fried fish chunks.
- Drizzle some lime juice and add pink taco sauce. Lightly season with black pepper or red chili flakes.
- Fold the tortilla in half. Repeat with all the tortillas.
- Serve with guacamole dip, salsa, air-fried potato chips, or fried rice.
Tilapia Tacos (Air Fryer)
- 4 tilapia fillets
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Spices e.g., cumin, paprika, chili powder
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 2 cups red cabbage shredded
- 4 green onions sliced
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon sriracha sauce
- 8 small tortillas
- Fresh coriander chopped
- Salt and black pepper to taste
How to Make?
- Coat tilapia fillets with olive oil, spices, lime juice, minced garlic, salt, and black pepper. Let it marinate for 15 minutes.
- Place marinated tilapia fillets in the air fryer. Air fry at 400°F (200°C) for 8 minutes, flipping halfway, until golden and cooked through.
- In a bowl, combine shredded red cabbage, sliced green onions, red wine vinegar, and a pinch of salt. Toss well.
- Mix sour cream and sriracha sauce in a small bowl to create a spicy sauce.
- Warm tortillas. Place air-fried tilapia on each tortilla. Top with slaw, spicy sauce, and fresh coriander.
- Serve the fish tacos immediately. Enjoy the burst of flavors!